Monday, October 27, 2008

The rumors are true

YES. I am actually pregnant this time. And it is finally dawning on me what the crap I have gotten myself into.. kinda. So far, as of today I have gotten myself into blood tests, peeing in a cup twice, an un-necessary pap smear (I just had one in May!), a lecture about omega 3 fatty acids keeping my baby from being retarded, and a stack of pamphets to read, which tell me that milk is evil and that I should be a vegetarian. Eww.

ALSO I now have a doctor's note to get the flu shot and I already deleted all the e-mails from my work telling me about how I can get cheap shots ($30) because there was no way in heck that I was going to get pricked voluntarily. I would rather barf for a day then get pricked with a needle. And think of all the fun things I could buy with the $30 I saved.

I think our society is way too paranoid about being prego. I feel like I need to wrap myself in bubble wrap and only eat tofu from now on. I also feel guilty whenever I break the speed limit now, but only for a minute.

After my doctor's appointment today being so overwhelmed with all the things I need to do and eat to keep this baby healthy I went to the store and bought a whole bunch of candy and consumed almost an entire box of Dots on the way home. It felt good. I also bought three cartons of blue bunny ice cream because they were on sale and chocolate covered grahm crackers just because I felt like it.. Ice cream has calcium, right?

Prenatal-vitamin this, folic acid that. At the store it was between fatty pre-natal vitamins that I would gag myself with and chocolate chewy everyday vitamins that were a lot cheaper and had all the same crap in it as the prenatal one. I most certainly can remember to eat a little chocolate chew everyday and so far it has been just fine.

BUT, one of the main reasons I went to the doc is to find out when the darn baby is due because I really don't keep track of my monthly blessing of womanhood all that well. The doctor seemed confident that in doing my pelvic exam that she could feel how big my uterus was with no ultrasound and determine whether I am 4 or 8ish weeks along, but she said it felt like I was exactly in the middle. So back I will drive across Tucson maƱana to get a sonogram done and see how big the little sucker is. Hopefully now I'll know whether or not I will ruin poor Sam's temple wedding plans.

BUT so far I am lucky and have felt pretty good. No barfing yet, no super nausea. Every now and then I'll get dizzy and of course I am tired a lot, but thats no biggie. You just have to ignore tireness like you do in college. I have been swimming and ballroom dancing and I even plan on going surfing in little waves when I go home for Thanksgiving.

My baby is cooler than your baby.

11 comments:

AG Sisters said...

Congrats thats so exciting!!!

Kara said...

Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you guys. Isn't it funny how much they tell you not to eat these days? My Mom said she ate whatever when she was pregant and all 8 of us turned out alright. I'm pretty sure I ate a few things they said not to and Hallie's okay. Don't stress too much over it. Can't wait to find out when your due and what your having!!

Taylor said...

Congrats! That is awesome. I sure love my baby.

Tricia L said...

How exciting! Congratulations!

Melanie said...

Caitlin, I'm so happy for you! Don't stress -- just be yourself, do what you love, and enjoy the ride, it's wonderful! With lots of love from Melanie

Samuel R said...

Wow having a baby sounds great. Although I have some time until I am a father, I will respectfully disagree that your yet-to-be-born baby is cooler than my yet-to-be-born baby.

Anonymous said...

That's funny, my vegetarian midwife said I might have to forgo my vegetarian ways for a while in order to get enough protein while pregnant! And, processed soy products increase your estrogen so they're not especially helpful for early pregnancy. Hehe, my pamphlets are cooler than your pamphlets!!!

I will say this though -- it's not like being tired in college! You've go to listen to your body. It will tell you when you need sleep, when you need broccoli, and when you need chocolate covered graham crackers. Just listen and do as your body and baby says!!! :)

Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you!!!!

tdyhtrfyhrt;hjr said...

congratulations! i don't know if you've heard about this site but you can get an account at babycenter.com and then they email you every new week you turn with how your baby is growing! its really neat and fun :)

Anonymous said...

weeee! baby! I wanna know how far you are!

Channa said...

Yay! Congrats you guys! When are you due?

brittany+scott said...

WOW!!! CONGRATS :)